Friday, December 9, 2011

How to have more energy


Recently I've been suffering with my own sleep and energy levels; as I am sure many of us nurses have at one point or another during our careers. With swing shifts, working nights, and being unable to create a sleep-wake cycle I am certain many nurses have had trouble falling and staying asleep. I'm not sure why my sleep is disrupted right now as I really haven't changed anything in my lifetime.

The cause I've become aware of this broken sleep is I feel more lethargic and less energetic during the day. This could as well be related to the seasons changing and earlier sunsets we experience during autumn however, I am certain my restless sleep is making my decreased energy levels.

This takes me to the topic - energy levels. We have more control through our energy than we think. People, in general, feel they are powerless over their energy increments and decreases throughout their day; falling victim to things like shift schedules, overtime, and staffing numbers. Fortunately, this is not the case. You do have control over your energy. I want to share with you several ways you can keep energy levels balanced.

* Get more rest. Instead of going to bed at 1 am, and getting only 4.5 hours of sleep, because you stayed up late browsing the web or logged on to Facebook; turn off the technology and settle in earlier. Make a set scheduled bed time, as much as you are able to, and keep it. Get 6-8 hours of straight sleep per night. Make a space that is conducive to sleep which means turning off distractions, keeping the room dark, cooling the temperature, reserving the bed for sleep.

* Exercise. A surefire way to increase your energy levels is to really do things that spend your energy. I know this sounds counterintuitive. Most times people protest, "I have no energy to work out; after work I just want to go home  and sleep." I assure you, once you get into a workout routine you will have more energy. As your heartbeat increases with exercise, more blood surges through the brain, more oxygen is absorbed by your cells, and you feel more mentally aware and energetic. Better-conditioned muscles make daily tasks easier. As you get stronger through exercise; so does your immune system.

* Drinking more water. This seems to be my answer for everything; but it works! Water accounts for approximately 60% of your body weight. Your organs need water in order to function properly.  By staying hydrous you will avoid feeling sluggish, tired.

* Stay away from "energy boosters." Things such as coffee, caffein, sugar, "energy" drinks are all ways to send your energy levels crashing. You ask why? You take them in for a quick burst of energy, but then since they are not natural your body "crashes" down off of them causing you to need more to sustain those energy levels you enjoyed. Excess sugar causes fluctuations in blood sugar, which can result in plummeting energy levels. Although coffee initially raises stress hormones and gives a rush of energy, consuming several cups of coffee per day can promote burnout. Avoid unnatural ways to boost energy.

* Make some time every day just for you. Make a daily ritual where you take 20 to 30 minutes for yourself just relaxing and doing nothing (no watching TV or surfing the net). Read a book, listen to music, meditate, have a cup of tea, or sit outside just being quiet. Make something that is just for you. Schedule it in as you do anything else.

* Go out. Nature is a great energizer. Rest in the fresh air. Get your dose of natural vitamin D from the sun.  Run around with kids, play a sport, or tackle some yard work. The more you are outside feeling the elements; the better rest you will get and ultimately the best energy you will have.

* Breathe. Energy, in Chinese Medicine, is called qi. Great important way we make qi is by breathing deeply. Deep, diaphragmatic breathing is a easy way you can improve energy levels.




No comments:

Post a Comment